Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Scare of my life!

Last Thursday, I had been at work for about an hour and a half when I received a phone call from The Husband. He called to tell me that everything was fine, but that he was on his way to the emergency room. He had had a stress test that morning and while the test went fine, afterward when he was getting a second EKG, his heart rate shot up to 242 for no reason. It got to the point where they had the paddles out in case they needed to shock his heart to slow down. They consider 250 a heart attack, so we were very happy that it suddenly stopped on its own a few minutes later. Either way, they sent him on his way to the E.R.

I pretty much started freaking out when he called me. He didn't have time to tell me everything that happened at that point, so I was imagining the worst. My poor boss! I was literally shaking and dropped a water bottle filled with water all over the floor in my cubicle. After calming myself down for a few minutes, I left the office and began the entirely-way-too-long trip from the city where I work to the city where the hospital is. I had to seriously control my urge to drive 100 MPH, even though I had the tears and snot to show off to any cop who might stop me. I was mostly calm, until my MIL called to make sure I was doing okay (at the request of The Husband - always thinking of me, even in his time of need. Love him.) The trip seemed to take forever and I was so upset that I couldn't be there with him.

When I finally got to the E.R., he was all hooked up to the heart monitor and had to have some blood drawn. We waited for hours, it seems, until we were finally moved into an E.R. observation room, where he would stay for the night.

We found out that The Husband was born with a heart defect and had something called Supraventrical Tachycardia. They are still unsure of what caused it to happen the way it did and he is now on medication to keep his blood pressure and heart rate low. He heads back to the cardiologist next Friday for another EKG and hopefully some answers.

Needless to say, I was pretty much a mess for a couple days. We debated about cancelling the party for my birthday on Saturday night, but since he was released from the hospital on Friday with no real strict orders, we decided to party on! Our first gathering at the new house was a success and everyone really liked the dining room transformation!

Hope everyone is having a good week!

P.S. - Blogger says I have 7 followers on my dashboard page, but they aren't showing up on the right side of the blog, or when I click on the word "Followers." Did they all disappear? If so, then me asking this question will probably fall on deaf ears.

1 comment:

  1. I'm still here and I can see your followers on the right side of your blog!

    How scary for you and your husband! I'm glad that he is okay now and the doctors know about this.

    ReplyDelete