Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Our little guy!

We've had the pleasure of owning a Yorkshire Terrier named Samson for almost 2.5 years. He came to us at 9 weeks old and he is a handful! We love him dearly, but both of us will tell you that we haven't always felt that way. I don't know if any of you (my two readers) have ownded a small dog, but they are very difficult to potty train. It is a very intense and involved process. We did all the research and we knew that it was going to be a long process, but nothing prepared us for the actual experience. "They" say that it can take up to a full year to train a yorkie, sometimes even longer. I will say that it took us a good year until Samson finally turned a corner and is pretty much trained. The first weekend I went up north to pick him up (where we got him from a breeder), I was alone. The Husband had a bachelor party to attend that weekend and I had to take care of the dog myself. By Sunday, I was sitting on the steps outside our condo building, crying because I thought we'd made a mistake. It was a huge undertaking (especially when we live on the 2nd floor of a building with no private yard) and I was beginning to doubt that we were ready.

2.5 years later and I am happy to say that we WERE ready and it's been the best thing we've done, so far. We are so in love with our little guy! He is a very well traveled dog and is always taking trips up north to visit his grandma (my mother-in-law) and great-grandma (my grandma) - HA! Sometimes my mother even takes him up north without us! Samson adores my grandma and doesn't leave her side when he's up north with her. He sleeps all night with her, wakes up around 6:30am and goes to my mom to let him out, eats and then gets back into bed with my grandma to sleep some more. He is ridiculous! Anyway, Samson's been up north for the last week and a half and we miss him very much! He is coming home today and I can't wait to see him :)

Samson, the first day we had him (he's so tiny!):







and Samson recently:



Samson sleeping with my niece up north last summer. Aren't they the cutest?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment